Monday, September 22, 2014

You Don’t Have To Answer That!


There is no doubt that modern digital tools can be a boon to our productivity.  I am writing this article on a computer allowing me to make changes, move entire paragraphs and conduct on-the-go research if I need some additional information.  Not too long ago I would be pounding away at my typewriter, fixing my typos with “whiteout” and most likely still missing several mistakes in the final draft.  As for research, I would have the library (which would be closed at this hour) or a trusty, albeit out of date, encyclopedia as my go to source.  For certain I don’t want to go back to the “good old days” because in many ways they were not so good.

As much as I enjoy and value my computer, smartphone, iPad and other digital accoutrements, I do try not to let them take over my life.  For example, I have a policy that if I am having a conversation with someone in person, I will not answer my phone. I am amazed at how uncomfortable this makes some people.  I may be having a conversation in my office and my mobile phone will ring.  I ignore it but often my guest will ask if I was going to get that.  I respond that he or she has my attention now and I am sure if it is President Obama, he will find a way to get me.   In other words I give respect to the person at hand rather than some unknown caller.

Many of us have a tone that sounds whenever an email or instant message comes in on our phone or computer.  It is interesting to note the Pavlovian response that many have to this sound.  No matter where they are or what they are doing they must look at the email.  I am well aware that sometimes a specific email is important.  It is also my experience that often the email is a sales pitch or a message from a long lost cousin who is now a Saudi Prince wanting to give me some money to put in my account for safer keeping.  In other words, in most cases a wait of an hour or so is not going to be an issue.

I read an article recently that decried the fact that we don’t have time to day dream, to just think, or to be un-plugged.  Our digital tools once allowed us to work longer hours.  Now many of us are expected to work 24/7.


I am not a Luddite. There is no going back.  Many social scientists opine that we will be even more connected in the future.   I do think that there is value in being un-connected.  Give it a try.  See if you can turn off the email, the smartphone, or the iPad for an hour a day.  Perhaps while taking a walk or talking to a friend or spouse (in person).

No comments:

Post a Comment