Monday, January 19, 2015

Time Warner Cable App a Real Tease

I am one of the increasing number of people watching more TV without using a TV set but it seems like some of the major players in the TV business don’t want to make it easy for me.   A good example of a company that seems to have adopted a strategy of the status quo is Time Warner Cable.  If you believe the glitzy commercials highlighting the Time Warner Cable App, you would be convinced that they were supportive of multi- device access to programs.  A look under the hood of this app indicates otherwise.

I have the Time Warner App installed on my iPad and iPhone.  When I first got it I had visions of really being able to watch what I wanted, when I wanted, and where I wanted.  After all, that is essentially what the TV spot promises.

It is true that the app allows many of the cable channels to be viewed on my iPad but not all of the channels I pay for and for sure not at the time or place I want to view them.  None of the local broadcast channels are available.  So no local news and weather.  These traditional channels can only be viewed over the air or on a cable connected TV set.  As I write this I am waiting to watch the Seahawks game.  Since it is being carried on WXIX, I am out of luck using my iPad or iPhone.  Same for the Colts vs Patriots later today.  That game is on CBS, Channel 12 which is also not available.

One would think that since I am already paying Time Warner almost $5 per month to get all of the ESPN channels they would be available on my iPad so I could enjoy a game or two while sitting on my deck rather than being tied to the TV set in the living room.  But that is not the case.

Perhaps the most frustrating feature of the Time Warner Cable App is that it requires me to be at home to view most of the channels that I pay for.  Leave the coverage of my home Wi-Fi router, and the number of channels is reduced almost exponentially.  I am left with Aljazeera America, BBC and few third-tier cable channels. There is left little I want to watch.

Why does Time Warner Cable and other legacy TV companies drag their feet providing true on demand choice to their paying customers?  No big revelation here.  The money they make providing traditional services, while diminishing, is still very attractive.  There is no motivation to embrace new services. 

The picture is slowly changing with some major national media companies by-passing cable and satellite services altogether and providing programming directly to the end user.  For example CBS has a subscription service that gives viewer direct access to most of their programming via the internet/

The current resistance to change makes me harken back to President Regan.  “Time Warner, tear down these walls.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment