Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sometimes You Just Need to Unplug

My wife, Judy, and I recently spent a few days camping in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.  We enjoyed three pristine sunny fall days in some of the most picturesque and remote places in the US.  The UP has awesome beauty but does not have many of the modern conveniences that we have grown so accustomed to.  The campground, tucked into the Southern shore of Lake Superior, had no electricity and as such no artificial lighting to mask the millions of stars and a moon giving enough light to read a book.  We were not used to this remoteness but we both began to cherish it.

Suffice it to say mobile phone reception was spotty and internet access impossible.  Even the GPS in the car could plot our longitude and latitude but became challenged matching our specific location to any of the back woods roads.

The short respite from the incessant beckoning of our digital devices got me to think about how tied many of us have become to these tools and toys.  The slightest beep or ring of our mobile phone causes an almost involuntary response to check and see who is trying to contact us even though we know full well it may be just a text from our neighbor with a picture of her cat staring at a goldfish.

Try as I might to limit my attraction to the siren calls of my mobile phone and iPad, I find that I often check my email or text traffic just out of habit. 

So I have a challenge for all my readers and it is one that I will take as well.   How about we all carve out a portion of everyday that are digital communication free zones.  That means we don’t carry our phone on our person.  Perhaps we turn it off.   This may be around the dinner hour or when we are putting the kids to bed.  During this time we won’t answer the telephone, look at Facebook or immediately respond to a text.  Perhaps we begin with an hour.  Who knows maybe we can go a full day.  Of course, you may need to drive to the UP for motivation.


No comments:

Post a Comment