Sunday, January 3, 2016

How Did I Do?

Back from hiatus...

Last year, as in years past, I made some predictions about some of the technologies and related services that I thought would take center stage during 2015.  It may not have been a good idea, but I promised a review of my prognostications at the end of the year.  I may have missed my deadline by about a week, but, as promised, here is a report


I predicted that the GoPro and lookalikes would become very popular.  I don’t think things turned out like I thought. For sure the GoPro and high quality standalone small video cameras continue to be popular but it was really video taken with smartphones that came of age during 2015.  Unfortunately, the video captured was not always video we wanted to see.  Nevertheless the ubiquitous “eyes” enabled by phones allowed us to see some very disturbing events.

Several police confrontations were captured by citizens that allowed those in authority to see what really took place.  Some pundits opine that the mere presence of video cameras at a tense situation make all involved much more civil.  I am not sure that this is the case, but for sure these video have had a significant impact. 

Speaking of cameras, the cameras now available on smartphones are nothing short of extraordinary in picture quality.  I received a photo from a friend last week measuring almost one by three feet taken last summer on one of our bike rides.   The color, resolution and detail are awesome.  The photo was taken with an iPhone.  For other than the serious amateur or professional photographer, the need for a standalone camera no longer exists.

I also predicted you would be able to keep an eye on your home and loved ones more completely and inexpensively with several inexpensive automated cameras, sensors, door locks, HVAC controls and intrusion alarms.  I think I got this one right.  A walk through Home Depot or Lowes will provide a look at some really cool devices.  There are even Wi-Fi enabled LED light bulbs that can be controlled with your smartphone.  Door locks with cameras are available to allow you to see who is at your door and allow entry even if you are miles away at work.

I decided not to take out that digital crystal ball this year.  New technologies and devices are being developed and coming to market so quickly that any predictions seem, at best, about as reliable as a dart board.  So instead of predicting I will try to keep you abreast of all things digital throughout this year.  Happy (belated) 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment